Bushfire rating systems are designed to tell you how dangerous a bushfire would be if it broke out, and what you need to do to stay safe on Moderate, High, Extreme and Catastrophic days.
About the Fire-Ed Up Challenge
Students will have 6-weeks to complete a STEM-based design sprint focused on challenges posed by bushfires and the Australian bushfire management sector. Teams will select from a set of three scenarios and design a solution presented either as a 90-second video pitch or poster.
- Understand bushfire consequences.
- Develop STEM skills.
- Discover careers in bushfire management.
- Engage with the community & raise awareness.
- Win prizes for your school.
The Fire-Ed Up Design Challenge is supported by a series of informative webinars, led by experts in the field, designed to provide participants with essential knowledge, insights, and tools to better understand bushfire management and to aid them in their challenge tasks.
- Oct 12: Program Launch, the Science of Fire with Fizzics Education
- Oct 20: Unravel the Bushfire Rating System.
- Oct 26: Dive into technologies for bushfire prevention.
- Nov 2: Discover how to protect fauna and flora from fires.
- Nov. 30 Grade 9 & 10 student finalists pitch to win online
IS THIS A FREE EVENT? Yes
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Hunter Innovation and Science Hub, Fizzics Education
Dr Meaghan Jenkins, AFDRS Manager at the New South Wales Rural Fire Service
Dr David Clarke, Fire Behaviour Analyst, NSW Rural Fire Service