Who Sold Santa? – Discussion Starter (Stage 4, Stage 5)
When did Christmas become so commercial?
Discover how one business saw a great opportunity to make the festive season a guaranteed money-spinner.
The history of Santa is longer than Kris Kringle’s beard!
And the jolly man in red has one brand to thank more than any other for his popularisation…Find out as this short video gives a brief overview of the commercialisation of Christmas celebrations.
Use it as a conversation starter or launching point for more in-depth investigation into how businesses interact with important cultural events.
After watching this video, students will be able to:
- Identify the company that made the decision to depict Santa Claus in red.
- Simply explain why this decision was made.
- Consider other ways in which Christmas (or other cultural celebrations) have been commercialised.
*Perfect for students studying commerce, business studies, marketing and advertising.
IS THIS A FREE EVENT? Yes
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia
On Demand (available until: 31-Dec-2024 11:30PM)
Main KLA, Strand, Sub Strand
HSIE » Commerce
HSIE » Business Studies
Creative Arts » Visual Design
Learning Intentions & Success Criteria
After watching this video, students should be able to:
- identify the company that made the decision to depict Santa Claus in red,
- simply explain why this decision was taken,
- consider other ways in which Christmas (or other cultural celebrations) have been commercialised.
Will This Event Be Recorded?
Joining The Event
Once you have booked this event, instructions to connect will appear on this Joining the Event tab. You will also receive a confirmation via email.
To get up to date information on this event, please refresh your browser while viewing this Joining the Event tab.
Technology and Materials Requirements
Internet connection and device to watch/listen.
More Information About This Event
For more resources on many topics in the social sciences, visit our Learn page here.