- This excursion has passed.
Australian Virtual Astronaut Challenge
This is a teacher information session about the Australian Virtual Astronaut (AVA) Challenge, a 6 week STEM design challenge that commences on October 8. Designed in collaboration with STEM Industry School Partnerships (SISP), the QLD Virtual STEM Academy, Fizzics Education, the Aldrin Family Foundation, Hargraves Institute and Magnitude.io
Find out how your class can be involved in this webinar with Dr Scott Sleap from SISP, Ben Newsome from Fizzics Education and Wendy Bode from the QLD Virtual STEM Academy.
Day: Tuesday, 5th October
Time: 4:30pm AEST
This event will not be recorded as the actual challenge starts on October 8.
Overview of the Australian Virtual Astronaut (AVA) Challenge
Do you think you’re isolated? Try being in space!
You are part of a team of astronauts creating a Family Home Outpost (FHO) on the Moon. How do survive? How do you thrive? Solve the problems that astronauts face in this Australian Virtual Astronaut (AVA) Challenge.
Your team are on the Moon. You need to produce food in order to support life on the Moon.
- How are we going to sustainably grow food on the Moon?
- How do we ensure this food is nutritious?
- How can the environment affect your food?
- How can the food be stored?
- Does the food produce enough energy?
Design an experiment, device or environment that can grow food on the Moon.
- Lack of resources
You have 6 weeks!
- Assess your resources
- Identify the problem
- Brainstorm ideas
- Produce potential solutions
- Students participate in a design thinking process for solving a lunar challenge.
- Students upload a 1-minute video that showcases a student-designed solution for growing something on the Moon and tag it using #virtualastronautau
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Fizzics Education
Date & Time
05-Oct-2021 04:30PM + Google Calendar + iCal Export
Live Event - Scheduled
Joining The Event
Requirements: Technology, Materials and Pre and Post event requirements.
Own device (you will be sent a unique webinar link that cannot be shared to others)
If you have any queries please contact the provider