Ocean science! (Stage 2, Stage 3)
Dive into ocean science as we look at the abiotic factors that affect life in our oceans.
How do ocean currents form, light pass through water and more! Join Fizzics Education in an on-demand class all on marine science.
This 27-minute video covers many demonstrations including
- how currents form due to salinity and temperature differences
- how ocean acidification is occurring
- what happens to different colours of light as you descend downwards through the ocean
- pressure change experiments relating to the ocean depths
- discussion on the need for SCUBA equipment and why & how to avoid “the bends”
- the different regions of the oceans and much more!
Includes 5 x PDF experiments to run in class as well as Australian, NSW & VIC outcomes and a risk assessment template.
IS THIS A FREE EVENT? No
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Fizzics Education
On Demand (available until: 21-Feb-2026 05:00PM)
$25 one time cost
Payment via credit card on the page.
If you need to pay via invoice, please contact the Fizzics Education office
Main KLA, Strand, Sub Strand
Science and Tech
Learning Intentions & Success Criteria
Following this class, a student will:
- Know that pressure increases as you descend to the ocean floor
- Describe that light decreases as you go deeper into water, with the red light of the spectrum being absorbed first and violet last.
- Know that there are different zones in the ocean, relating to the amount of light reaching each depth.
- Know that ocean currents are affected by salinity and temperature.
- Understand that marine life is affected by abiotic factors such as light and pressure
- Know that humans need apparatus such as SCUBA gear to breathe compressed air underwater, however there is a limit to how deep we can dive without a submarine.
- Understand that submarines are built to withstand enormous amounts of pressure on their hull.
- Identify that the release of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere contributes to ocean acidification, which in turn affects life forms such as coral.
Purchases are non-refundable.
Terms and Conditions
Please see our terms and conditions here:
Joining The Event
Requirements: Technology, Materials and Pre and Post event requirements.
Internet device and screen with speakers to show the students the video.
Optional materials to have on-hand include food colouring, two glass bottles, warm and cold water, carboard, red cabbage juice, vinegar, bicarbonate soda, sultanas, lemonade or soda water, plastic cups, sticky tape, coloured markers, a soda bottle & vegetable oil
Connecting To The Event
You will receive a unique link to view the video and coursework once you have paid on the software platform.
Fizzics Education is a multi-award-winning science education team that has reached over 3 million students since 2004! Fizzics Education is the winner of multiple Australian Small Business Winner for Children’s Education Services and has received several Pinnacle Awards from the Center for Interactive Learning & Collaboration
Optional Further Learning
Take these lessons further!
- Where is the deepest part of the ocean?
- What is the difference between an ocean and sea?
- How do fish regulate their buoyancy?
- What factors affect the health of the marine environment?
- What are the resources that we use for the ocean?
- How can we protect the ocean from human impact?
If you have any queries please contact the provider
Name: Ben Newsome
Phone: 02 9674 2191
Email: [email protected]
Will This Event Be Recorded?