- This excursion has passed.
Let’s use Augmented Reality crabs to learn about animal competition
In Reservoir Crabs, students design their own ultimate fighting crab to compete with others to learn about animal behaviour and competition. Equip your crab with the best and see how it holds up in battle! Discover the physical traits that are important in fighting and explore other ways that animals compete for resources.
Arludo’s revolutionary apps and e-worksheets offer single and multiplayer games that use augmented reality to explore a singular topic aligned with the Australian curriculum. This app focuses on the Living World module and caters to Stage 2 to 5. Our apps and e-worksheets foster student-centred learning to encourage the development of a student’s scientific skills and interest in the world around us.
This program was designed by Associate Professor Michael Kasumovic along with a team of biologists at UNSW. Michael began his quest to figure out a way to excite disengaged students. Arludo provides interactive apps and e-worksheets where students actively ask questions, answer polls, and collect their own first-hand data. Teachers can say goodbye to the repetitive risk assessments surrounding each experiment and get on with the fun, even at home with Arludo!
In Reservoir Crabs, students learn about evolution, animal behaviour and how our environment affects the growth, survival, and adaptation of living things through a series of Arludo videos delivered by evolutionary biologists at UNSW. Students review the leaderboard after their play to see their success rate, their different traits and discuss the implications on competition for resources. The e-worksheet incorporates literacy and numeracy activities to help you check for student learning and progress. We understand all students have unique learning needs, so we’ve made sure the worksheet is flexible to meet the individual learning requirements of different students. You know your students best, so we’ve made it easy for you to differentiate our questions. At Arludo, we also automatically collect and visualise your student data for you into graphs and charts so you can spend more time discussing the results with your students. By the way, we do all the marking for you – you’re welcome.
Need more information? Check out our website here.
NSW Syllabus Outcomes: Science K-10
- ST2-11LW describes ways that science knowledge helps people understand the effect of their actions on the environment and on the survival of living things
- ST3-10LW describes how structural features and other adaptations of living things help them to survive in their environment
- ST3-11LW describes some physical conditions of the environment and how these affect the growth and survival of living things
- SC4-14LW relates the structure and function of living things to their classification, survival and reproduction
Working Scientifically Outcomes: K-10
- ST2-4WS investigates their questions and predictions by analysing collected data, suggesting explanations for their findings, and communicating and reflecting on the processes undertaken
- ST3-4WS investigates by posing questions, including testable questions, making predictions, and gathering data to draw evidence-based conclusions and develop explanations
- SC4-6WS follows a sequence of instructions to safely undertake a range of investigation types, collaboratively and individually
- SC4-7WS processes and analyses data from a first-hand investigation and secondary sources to identify trends, patterns and relationships, and draw conclusions
- SC4-9WS presents science ideas, findings and information to a given audience using appropriate scientific language, text types and representations
Proudly presented by Arludo and partnered with the Australian Museum, Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences, The Royal Botanic Gardans and Domain Trust, UNSW and the University of Sydney.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Arludo
On Demand (available until: 18-Dec-2022 05:00PM)
Joining The Event
Once you have booked this event, instructions to connect will appear on this Joining the Event tab. You will also receive a confirmation via email.
To get up to date information on this event, please refresh your browser while viewing this Joining the Event tab.
Technology and Materials Requirements
Internet access, Smartphone, Computer
Connecting To The Event
After your registration, we will send you an email which will contain all the information to get you set up and started.
If you have any queries please contact the provider
Name: Michael Kasumovic
Phone: 0401 090 071
Email: [email protected]