Climate Solutions. Embrace the mangrove stink! (Stage 3, Stage 4)
Dig into mangrove forests to uncover the stinky magic of the mud as an efficient climate solution.
As part of the Powerhouses 100 Climate Conversations weekly podcast, selected innovators have presented simple positive messages to schools about what can be done to save our planet.
In this episode meet Dr Maria del Mar Palacios, a marine biologist, who studies the magic of the mud associated with mangrove forests at the edge of the sea. These, sometimes stinky, forests capture carbon at up to 40 times the rate of terrestrial forests making them one of the most efficient and readily available climate solutions.
This is an edited recording of an interview on Friday 12 August 2022 from the Powerhouse.
IS THIS A FREE EVENT? Yes
BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Powerhouse
Dr. Maria del Mar Palacios is a marine ecologist, project manager, and science communicator based at Deakin University’s Blue Carbon Lab. She is originally from Colombia and received her PhD from James Cook University, Queensland in 2017. Maria has worked for 10+ years in marine and coastal ecosystems, including coral reefs, mangroves and tidal marshes.
On Demand (available until: 17-Aug-2027 11:59PM)
ST3-1WS-S, ST3-4LW-S, SC4-4WS, SC4-7WS, SC4-9WS, SC4-13ES, SC4-15LW
Main KLA, Strand, Sub Strand
Science and Tech » Earth and Space 7-10
Science and Tech » Earth and Environmental Science
Science and Tech » Living World 7-10
Learning Intentions & Success Criteria
Participants will learn to:
- Identify various pathways into STEM careers
- Understand that failure is part of learning
- Accept, though question that climate change is supported by evidence
- Explore solutions that are diverse and achievable
- Ask questions and express their voice through protest in the search for truth.
Success can be measured by the ability of the learners to:
- Explain the key points raised in the program
- Identify at least one variable described in the presentation
- Generate expansive questions
- Suggest ways to continue investigations
- Discuss limitations of the key ideas
- Propose a career path for their own journey with STEM
Joining The Event
Once you have booked this event, instructions to connect will appear on this Joining the Event tab. You will also receive a confirmation via email.
To get up to date information on this event, please refresh your browser while viewing this Joining the Event tab.
Requirements: Technology, Materials and Pre and Post event requirements.
This webinar was recorded live on 12 August 2022. After you book your place, a link to the recording will be sent to the email you have registered with.
If you have any queries please contact the provider
Name: Bookings team
Phone: 61 2 9217 0222
Email: [email protected]
Will This Event Be Recorded?